Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument [NM]
Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument consists of 1,100 acres containing the ruins of four mission churches, located at Quarai, Abó, and Gran Quivira, in addition to the partially excavated pueblo of Las Humanas, otherwise known as Gran Quivira. Originally inhabited by the American Indian trade communities of Tiwa- and Tompiro-speaking Puebloans, in the early 17th century Spanish Franciscans visited the area and found it ripe for their missionary efforts. As of 1677 the entire Salinas District was depopulated of both Indian and Spaniard alike.
The monument offers museums, three historic sites, and an interpretive trail.