Oneida Community Mansion House
Built brick-by-brick in stages beginning in 1861 by the utopian Oneida Community (1848—1880), the 93,000-square-foot Mansion House testifies to the Community's core belief in the possibility of personal and social perfection. In plan and decoration it reflects popular architectural styles of the mid-19th century, but its large scale epitomizes the needs of a society that lived as one family with more than 300 members. Continually inhabited since 1862, the Mansion House features a museum, overnight lodging, residential apartments, the Zabroso Restaurant in the Community dining room, and banquet and meeting facilities. Century-old trees define the grounds where meandering paths lead to gardens that change with the seasons.
The house offers exhibits, tours, workshops, and educational and recreational programs.