1820 Colonel Benjamin Stephenson House [IL]
The Colonel Benjamin Stephenson House is a landmark that links the early history of Edwardsville to the earliest days of the Illinois Territory circa 1809 and the establishment of Edwardsville as the center of government and commerce. It is a connection between Territorial Governer Ninian Edwards, Colonel Benjamin Stephenson, and the State of Illinois. Built in 1820, this two-story brick home, constructed in the Federal style, is an excellent example of architecture from this early period. Each of the four rooms has original millwork; and two of the original mantels designed in the Adams style remain. The home was built with native material by skilled local craftsmen.
The house offers tours, educational programs, other workshops and classes, demonstrations, and occasional educational and recreational events.