Fort Branch [NC]
Fort Branch preserves the site of a Confederate earthwork fort, with the initial phases of construction having taken place in 1862. The fort's location permitted strategic defense of the Roanoke River, CSS Albemarle, and a railway bridge needed for supply lines. This is the only Southern earthwork fortification which possesses artillery original to the site. Sights include eight of the original 11 cannon, Native American pottery, artifacts from an 18th-century river town, a late 19th-century steam engine, and an 1850s farmhouse.
The site offers exhibits, and is open April through November.