Confederate Reunion Grounds State Historic Site [TX]
Confederate Reunion Grounds State Historic Site is located on the Navasota River in Limestone County. In 1889, 24 years after the end of the Civil War, veterans of the Confederacy in Limestone and Freestone counties assembled as an encampment and formed the Joe Johnston Camp No. 94United Confederate Veterans. The organization's constitution formulated during the 1889 meeting stated that its purpose was to perpetuate the memories of fallen comrades, aid disabled survivors and indigent widows and orphans of deceased Confederate soldiers, and preserve the fraternity that grew out of the war. The 1889 meeting was the first of a series of annual reunions that continued with few interruptions for the next 57 years. Attractions at the site include historic buildings such as the 1872 Heritage House, an 1893 dance pavilion, a Civil War steel-barreled Val Verde cannon, and two scenic footbridges that span Jack's Creek.
The site offers occasional recreational and educational events (including living history events).