Amasa Day House [CT]
Colonel Julius Chapman created a symbol of rural gentility by building this Federal-style house in 1816 on the Moodus Green. It was subsequently purchased by Amasa Day, a local banker, in whose family the house remained until 1967. The house is furnished largely with objects owned by members of the Day family, including toys and locally produced ceramics and silver, and still features the original floor and stair stenciling applied to mimic carpeting. Also on display are a selection of photographs from among the thousands taken by pioneering American Pictorialist art photographer Dr. Amasa Day Chaffee between 1890 and 1925.
The house offers exhibits and tours.