Sherwood Forest Plantation [VA]
Sherwood Forest Plantation was once home to John Tyler (1790-1862), the first United States Vice President to ascend to the Presidency. Tyler's term (1841-1845) began after then President William Henry Harrison (1773-1841) died. The plantation was originally owned by Harrison, but was later purchased by Tyler. During his life, Tyler also served as Virginia Governor, senator, and delegate; member of the House of Representatives; U.S. Senator; member of the Confederate Congress; and Chancellor of The College of William and Mary. The residence itself is Virginia Tidewater in style with Greek Revival additions. It sits on 25 acres containing gardens designed by landscape architect Andrew Jackson Downing (1815-1852), a gingko tree gifted by Commodore Matthew Perry (1794-1958) after his 1850s return from Japan, a 17th-century tobacco barn, milk house, smoke house, garden house, kitchen and laundry, and law office. The home is furnished with pieces which belonged to the Tyler family.
The site offers period rooms. Lunch boxes are available on request.