Grand Village of Natchez Indians [MS]
The 128-acre Grand Village of Natchez Indians was the key ceremonial site of the Natchez people between 1682 and 1729. At the end of this period, the Natchez attacked the French who had settled in their homeland, southwest Mississippi. The French secured such a decisive victory that the Natchez were permanently dispersed in 1729. The Natchez people had called southwest Mississippi their home from as early as approximately 700. The Natchez were farmers, hunters, and gatherers; and their society was organized into two moieties, with membership determined by matrilineal inheritance. The site includes a museum, a reconstructed Natchez dwelling, and three earthen mounds—the Great Sun's Mound, the Temple Mound, and the Abandoned Mound. The Temple Mound once supported a temple which housed the remains of Natchez leaders.
The village site offers exhibits, a reconstructed period dwelling, a nature trail, a children's hands-on area, group tours, and student educational programs. Reservations are required for group tours and educational programs.